Assessments and Billing Specialist (Full Time - Temp/Parental Leave)
Who We Are:
The Western Irrigation District provides irrigation water to over 400 farms and 96,000 acres of land and supplies municipal water to over 12,000 people in four different communities through 1,200 km of canals and pipelines. Like other irrigation districts in Alberta, the WID operates under the Irrigation Districts Act's rules and procedures. The WID is headquartered in Strathmore, Alberta, which is approximately 40 kilometers east of Calgary.
Where We Work and Live:
This position is based in the Town of Strathmore at our main office. Our Team: With approximately 40-45 employees making up the very experienced administration and operations teams, WID is a diversified irrigation district with essential water supply services, earthworks construction, pipeline construction, canal construction, irrigation development and enhancements, equipment operations, irrigation maintenance, and customer servicing.
Key Accountabilities Reporting to the Information Systems Supervisor, and part of the Administration department, our ideal candidate for the role of Temp. Assessments and Billing Specialist will have the following responsibilities Primary Duties:
• Assist clients with contracts and WID processes and procedures relating to Irrigation matters
• Create billings for assessment, Household Billings, Rural Water user, Commercial conveyance agreements, leases and any other contracts that may be applicable for water users.
• Complete reconciliations as needed for water matters balancing at the start of each month
• Review all reconciliations relating to agreements, leases and contracts completed by Human Resources and Finance coordinators.
• Maintain detailed records for contracts and agreements relating to expiry dates and annual rate changes.
• Communicate with the local elections officer to identify board nomination packages/election procedures.
• Thorough understanding of:
o Irrigation Districts Act (IDA)
o Bylaws – including revising on an annual basis, the timing required and distribution to relevant parties.
o Local Authorities Elections Act
o Water Act
• Understand payment processing and issuing receipts.
• Prepare all documentation for Enforcement including communication with management, lawyers, Court of Queens Bench, and client.
• Organize all required advertising for Administrative Team to process and send to newspaper and other notice boards as required (website, social media, email).
• Communicate regularly with internal departments, Land, Water, Information Systems (GIS) and external parties (AIDA, Irrigation Secretariat and others as needed) regarding water matters.
• Present all water matters at monthly board meetings.
• After each Board meeting, provide information to administrative teams on letters, invoices, or receipts to be completed and review all documents.
• Comply with and administer company office policies and procedures.
• Understanding of the GIS system and how it applies to the water and administration teams.
• Additional administrative duties as required
What you’ll bring to this role?
• Relevant post-secondary education or equivalent of education and experience.
• 3+ Years of customer service experience from a previous role would be an asset.
• Legal assistant experience would be an asset.
• An understanding of Legal Land Descriptions, file coordination and administration.
• You are approachable and possess a positive, “customer first” attitude.
• You will have high attention to detail with strong administrative and organizational skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Tech savvy and a power user of software including M365 and the ability to learn new programs and processes.
• Ability to adjust to heavy periods of workload, and change focus as needed in an open office environment with competing priorities
• Ability to be inclusive, collaborative, and respect cultural diversity.
Application deadline: April 1st, 2022 Expected start date: May 4th, 2022
Job Types: Full-time, Temp/Parental Leave
COVID-19 considerations: We follow all recommendations for Covid-19 safety
We want to thank everyone for their application; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
SEND RESUMES TO:
or drop off resumes to WID at A-1000, Pine Street, Strathmore