Who We Are:
The Western Irrigation District provides irrigation water to over 400 farms and 96,000 acres of land, and supplies municipal water to over 12,000 people in four different communities through 1,200 km of canals and pipelines. Like other irrigation districts in Alberta, the WID operates under the rules and procedures of the Irrigation Districts Act. The WID is headquartered in Strathmore, Alberta, which is approximately 40 kilometers east of Calgary.
Where We Work and Live:
This position is based in the Town of Strathmore and will require to travel to our project locations within the District.
Our Construction Team:
With approximately 12- 20 employees making up the very experienced year-round construction and maintenance team, WID is a diversified irrigation district with essential water supply services, earthworks construction, pipeline construction, canal construction, irrigation development and enhancements, equipment operations, irrigation maintenance, and customer servicing. Our ideal candidate for the role of Equipment Operator will have the following abilities:
• The Equipment Operator is responsible for operating equipment in a safe and appropriate manner in order to minimize the risk of injury, property damage or loss of life main activities
• Equipment Operations may include trucks, front-end loaders, dozers, graders, compactors, excavators snowblowers and other pieces of equipment.
• Equipment Operator must also clean, maintain and secure all equipment as directed by legislation, policies and procedures.
• Equipment Operator must deal with residents and members of the public in a courteous and respectful manner.
• Perform work connected with pipeline construction, canal construction, and maintenance and repair of infrastructure in the Irrigation District
• Perform all duties with a high regard for safety and the environment
• Finishing skills preferred
General Position Responsibilities and Duties:
• Involves shoveling, standing, sitting, stooping, bending, squatting, walking and lifting weights up to 50 pounds (23 kg) unassisted
• Perform daily safety and maintenance and practice workplace safety
• As the majority of this work is conducted outdoors, workers must be ready to work in all types of weather conditions, including inclement weather
• Climbing in and out of trenches, walking on uneven ground, working around heavy equipment and working in confined spaces is required
• Participate in routine maintenance, and labourer duties as assigned
• Work overtime as required and weekend work may be required
• MUST have a valid driving license, and a clean driving record. Class 1 would be considered an asset
Job Types: Full-time
COVID-19 considerations: We follow all recommendations for Covid-19 safety
Please forward resumes to:
We would like to thank everyone for their application; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.