Frequently Asked Questions



How can I apply to receive irrigation acres to support my farming practices?


The Western Irrigation District has reached its cap of 95,000 acres (in 2002 serviced under the Provincial Water Licence issued to WID) as set in the Irrigation Districts Act (IDA). There are no new Irrigation or Terminable Acres to be applied for. It is encouraged to locate a holder of existing Terminable or Irrigation acres that are willing to release or cancel them, in order to apply for the acres. These transactions must have Board approval. Application must be made to the Board and applications are reviewed for the condition of the delivery system, the water supply available to the parcel, and the Level II Land Classification results –a requirement for Irrigation and Terminable Acres. If the Board has reviews and recommends the application, if required, the applicant is responsible for arranging and paying for the Level II Land Classification.

How can I apply to receive a yard and garden irrigation contract?


There are three types of Household agreements which are water supply agreements for stock and/or yard and garden use – this is not a potable water supply agreement. These agreements do not transfer with title and do not form part of the 95,000 acres cap: 

A. Household Water Service (HHLD): this is normally a stock watering agreement; 2014 rate is $500.00;

B. Household Reduced (HHLDR): this is also a stock watering agreement, however; the landowner must have a dugout with a two week storage capacity; 2014 rate is $300.00;

C. Household Yard and Garden (HHLDYG): this is an agreement which allows for the watering of lawns and gardens up to three (3) acres in area; 2014 rate is $355.00.

The household agreements run in perpetuity until either notice of cancellation is received in writing by either party or there is a change in ownership of the parcel. This type of agreement is billed annually and is due and payable the last business day of April. Rates are set annually in the form of a By Law by the Board of Directors. 

When will I receive my water bill?


The Assessment Billing Notices have historically been mailed in August and is due and payable without penalty the last business day of December. The Household Billing Notices have historically been mailed in February and is due and payable without penalty the last business day of April. 

When will there be water in the canal?


Under the terms of our provincial water license, the WID is allowed to divert water from the Bow River from May 1st to September 30th each year. Depending on conditions, water can take from 5 to 7 days to reach the end of the canal system. 

What time of year does the water level in Chestermere Lake raise and lower?


The spring filling of Chestermere Lake to operational level is complete by May 1st of each calendar year. The level is maintained at an elevation between 1025.5 m to 1025.6 m until September 30th when water diversion to and from the lake is stopped. After the Thanksgiving Day long weekend, water is let out of the lake again to lower it to winter levels. The released water flows downstream to the Langdon Reservoir, raising it to its winter level. 

Where does the water in the canal come from?


The Western Irrigation District diverts water from the Bow River. The diversion point is located at the Harvie Passage (just downstream of the Calgary Zoo). Water travels through the City of Calgary and Rockyview County via the Western Headwork’s Canal which is owned by the Government of Alberta and operated under contract by the WID. Chestermere Lake is the starting point for WID owned infrastructure from which water is sent to the south and north via the A, B, and C canal systems.

Who is my WID Board member representative?


An elected five member Board oversees the administration of the WID corporate infrastructure. Each member represents a region and sits for a three year term. The Board elects a chairman from within their ranks each year to lead the Board during meetings and speak to the public on behalf of the Board. Water users may call their Board member regarding issues or concerns with the overall running of the district.


Board of Directors



Who is my Water District Supervisor and how can I make contact?


There are six Water District Supervisors in the Western Irrigation District covering the six service areas (Chestermere Area, Carseland Area, Strathmore Area, Rockyford Area, Gleichen/Cluny Area and Crowfoot Area). 


Water District Supervisors



How much notice must I provide my Water District Supervisor prior to turning on or off my irrigation system?


Water users are asked to provide their Water District Supervisor a minimum of 48 hours notice before they require water for any purpose be it irrigation, stock or domestic use or for yards and gardens. The district also asks for at least 24 hours notice before the water is no longer required and would also like to be notified if water needs will be interrupted for any length of time due to breakdown or scheduled maintenance of pumps or equipment.


Please click here for the complete water delivery policy.